So I know we each have talked about smaller meals more frequently throughout the day (4-5 meals vs the typical 3 or less meals/day Americans are eating). I compiled a little list here of some healthy little meals that I have been eating that are about 300 calories each, have a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat, and are easier to prepare ahead of time or just take with you on the go. Smaller meals throughout the day have shown an increase in energy and metabolism.
I spent some time last Monday night after going grocery shopping making my meals for the week. For me, that’s the only time I had to do it – and it has saved me lots of time this week as well as money and calories by not eating at Chipotle! 🙂
Look into serving sizes for each of these:
- Cottage cheese
- Greek yogurt
- Smoothie consisting of raw eggs and frozen fruits such as strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, pineapple, mangoes, peaches. I usually add some greek yogurt (low fat) as well.
- Peanuts (salted or plain)
- Almonds (roasted/salted or plain)
- Salad (arugula or spring mix) with 3-5 oz baked chicken and a light vinaigrette (don’t go for the ranch – high fat content for such a small serving on their label ..) you can keep it simple or add fresh cut carrots, celery, avocado (healthy fat) etc.
- Omelet (my FAVE breakfast!) 2 medium eggs, shredded cheddar cheese, and sliced green and red peppers and onions or spinach or broccoli (yum!) Jazz it up with some salsa on top and a dollop of plain yogurt (just like sour cream, minus the fat and add the protein!)
- Canned New England Clam Chowder soup (a new addition, 1 can = 2 servings, so just have one; its balanced and so nice for the coldness of winter!)
- Stew soup – baked chicken, green and red peppers and onions sliced, diced tomatoes of tomato sauce (canned) .. season with garlic powder, basil, and thyme .. put it all in the crock pot and let it cook overnight 🙂 1 cup = 1 serving and if you make a big batch, it can last all week, or freeze it and take it out when you want some at work or on the go!
Hope these help! Have a wonderful Tuesday!
PS – Here’s the recipe I used for egg muffins, minus the sausage (picture below)